Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It's one of the most difficult prayers I've ever prayed. I'm repulsed by the idea with all that's in me ... but the deepest part of me desires it.
HUMILITY. When we pray for it, I don't think we realize what we're asking, and what it means for us. It means rubbing mud on our faces like St. Bernadette at the grotto. It means stripping ourselves of every protection, like St. Francis did in the town square of Assisi.
This week I had a huge deadline at work. My boss was relying on me to get a number of projects finished, and when it looked like I may not be able to, I hesitated to tell her. I was afraid to admit that I wouldn't be able to complete them.
So this morning, when I finally did tell her, she was frustrated that I hadn't told her sooner. I was on the verge of tears, but I was more upset at myself than at her. Why couldn't I just admit that I was running out of time?
The funny thing is, I pray the Litany of Humility every morning after my rosary. "From the fear of being humiliated ... From the fear of being despised ... From the fear of suffering rebukes, deliver me Jesus."
What I admire about so many saints is their ability to wear their brokenness on their sleeves. But that takes guts. It takes a certain carelessness with my pride and a caring only for what the Lord sees in me. Jesus, meek and humble of heart ... grant me the grace to desire it!

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart,
Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...

From the fear of being humiliated,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I,
provided that I may become as holy as I should …

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I was pointed to this post from a commenter on my post (http://michelle-endlessstrength.blogspot.com/2011/02/time-to-pray.html).

    Humility is one of the virtues that is a mainstay on my heart. I have been praying the Litany the last couple of days. A little over a year ago, I prayed it for about 6 weeks and was given many opportunities for humility over the course of the following 6 months.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. They encourage me.

    ReplyDelete